China in the World and the Chinese Diaspora
Understanding China entails an understanding of how Chinese people live, work, and travel beyond Chinese borders. Food, cultural celebrations, and charitable giving help define Chinese communities around the world.
Key issues include:
- Chinese communities in the Americas
- Cultures of giving and philanthropy
- Chinese foodways
- Transnational education
- The Belt and Road Initiative
Recent and ongoing activities:
- Professor Gustavo Oliveira gives a talk on his ongoing research on the Chinese Belt and Road Initiative in Latin America.
- The Long Institute is currently collaborating with UCLA and the Global Chinese Philanthropy Initiative to convene an International Symposium on Global Chinese Philanthropy in March 2021. Please see our Call for Papers for more information.
- We are also pleased to be the major sponsors behind UCI's annual Lunar New Year festival, a celebration that brings thousands of students, faculty, and community members to campus each year.