China in the World and the Chinese Diaspora
Understanding China entails an understanding of how Chinese people live, work, and travel beyond Chinese borders. Food, cultural celebrations, and charitable giving help define Chinese communities around the world.
Key issues include:
- Chinese communities in the Americas
- Cultures of giving and philanthropy
- Chinese foodways
- Transnational education
- The Belt and Road Initiative
Recent and ongoing activities:
- The Long Institute sponsored UCI's 2021 Lunar New Year celebration and hosted a talk on Chinese medicine in the United States.
- Professor Gustavo Oliveira gives a talk on his ongoing research on the Chinese Belt and Road Initiative in Latin America.
- The Long Institute is currently collaborating with UCLA and the Global Chinese Philanthropy Initiative to convene an International Symposium on Global Chinese Philanthropy in March 2021. Please see our Call for Papers for more information.