Gender, Race, and Ethnicity
The #MeToo movement and #BlackLivesMatter have rapidly become global phenomena, and
activists in China and Hong Kong have begun linking domestic concerns to worldwide
movements. At the same time, ethnic tensions in China and race relations outside of
China demand sustained attention.
Key issues include:
- Feminism and women's rights movements
- Reproductive justice
- Ethnic minorities
- Race relations within and beyond China
- The Long Institute hosts a conference on the centenary of the May Fourth Movement, featuring a panel on gender and feminism in China's past and present.
- New Yorker staff writer and Long Institute distinguished speaker Jiayang Fan gives a talk on race, cultural identity, and authorship.
- Journalist Leta Hong Fincher gives a talk on her new book, Betraying Big Brother: The Feminist Awakening in China.
- Professor Wang Feng discusses China's sinking birthrate.